#211 ~ The Graveyard Book

Cover of The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Bod, although named Nobody Owens, isn’t a nobody.  Someone wants him dead.  The Man Jack killed his parents and sister one dark night.  Bod was just a toddler and narrowly escaped The Man Jack’s knife when he wandered off into the cemetery just across the way from his parent’s home.  It was highly unprecedented, but Mr. and Mrs. Owens, both ghosts who have already lived in the graveyard for many years, agree to adopt Bod when the ghost of his mother begs Mrs. Owens to care for him.  The graveyard as a whole did not agree to accept Bod and give him the freedom of the graveyard only after Silas also agrees to be his guardian.  Silas, unlike the ghosts inhabiting the cemetery, has access to the world outside of the graveyard and can ensure that Bod is fed and educated.  Thus begins Bod’s unconventional upbringing.  Despite the circumstances, Bod is a typical boy and that often gets him into trouble.  It is just that which teaches him what he needs to know to survive within and without the walls of the graveyard.

neverwhereI had intended to read Neverwhere as my first Neil Gaiman novel, but when I found myself with a credit at Audible.com and noticed that the author himself narrated The Graveyard Book, I had to buy it.  Once it was on my MP3 player, I couldn’t stop myself from listening to it.  I couldn’t be more thrilled that book was my introduction.  It was alive in place and character.  I loved Bod, Silas, Mrs. Owens, Scarlett, and Liza.  I even enjoyed the less savory characters Bod meets along the way.  One of my favorite chapters was when he meets up with the ghouls.  I loved the imagination that went into creating their existence, their means of transportation, and their names: The Duke of Westminster, the Bishop of Bath and Wells, the Lord High Mayor of London, and The 33rd President of the United States (poor President Truman – I had to look that up because I had to know).  The dialog was equally delightful – not just with the ghouls, but with all of the characters.  While I’m sure that the dialog would have stood out if I had read the print version of this book, Gaiman is fantastic in his narration and really brought out the interplay and poetry in his prose.

I cannot say enough about this book.  I listened to it on audio as narrated by Neil Gaiman himself.  I listened to Bod’s story on my way to and from work and whenever I got a chance in between.  I was enthralled by the different worlds I got to explore along with Bod.  It really captured my imagination.  I looked forward to my time in the graveyard and was very impressed by the author’s narration.  In many ways, I think that made the experience for me.  To hear the accents of the ghouls, the Owens’, Silas, and Scarlett made them all come to life.  I have a print version of this novel as well and I found myself going to it to reread what I had heard that day and getting excited all over again.  The ending, in so many ways, was bittersweet for me.  I miss Bod, all of his friends, and all of the things to see and explore in his adoptive home.  I look forward to the day that my daughters are old enough to listen to this story along with me, not that I think I can wait that long to read The Graveyard Book again for myself.

To enter for a chance to win the prizes for this theme month, go to the Neverwhere and Beyond page and use the following code: N&B-R1.

*******

I read the audio version of this book through a purchase on Audible.com.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

• At 2009.11.09 18:50, Zia said:

I LOVED this book in audio form!

• At 2009.11.09 18:59, A Bookshelf Monstrosity said:

The Graveyard Book is one of those novels I’ve been meaning to get around to reading for a long time now. I’ve read so many interesting reviews on the book, yours included!

• At 2009.11.09 19:21, Sandy said:

I would love to listen to this book on audio. As it was, I read it to my kids over a period of a week or two, and while I am not an uber-narrator, we all enjoyed the ride. I think this book, above just about anything else I’ve ever read to the kids, was the hottest ticket. They were begging for a reading morning and night. They couldn’t get enough of Bod, and the mystery behind his traumatic experience as a baby.

• At 2009.11.09 19:23, Kathy said:

I have this book so I probably won’t be listening to the audio version even though it sounds wonderful. So glad you enjoyed it.

Read more from Kathy

The Week in Review: 10.20.2017

Between the Covers Finished last week: Naomi is a private investigator who searches for lost children.  She has a sort of sixth sense about such things so she’s good at what she does.  She&#82[…]

• At 2009.11.09 21:58, Margaret Dilloway said:

I keep seeing this featured in my kids’ school libraries and keep suggesting that they check it out (and because I want to read it). They refuse because, of course, Mom suggested it, so it couldn’t possibly be good. I am going to break down and get it myself.

Read more from Margaret Dilloway

Big Momotaro Movie News

So this happened: Darlene Caamaño Loquet, the VP at Fox who bought it, told me her daughter had picked it up in the bookstore one day. When she went to work the next morning, it was in the mail on…[…]

• At 2009.11.09 23:26, softdrink said:

Yay! I’ve heard excerpts of the audio, and I think Gaiman’s voice is perfect for the story.

He’s giving a talk in Santa Barbara in February…and even though it’s 1 1/2 hour drive, and a weeknight, I bought a ticket to go see him. I’m quite excited.

• At 2009.11.09 23:28, Donna S said:

I read The Graveyard Book and loved it. Looks like I might have to try it in audio form soon too.

• At 2009.11.10 13:43, Wendy said:

I just heard today is Neil’s birthday. To celebrate, I bought my first Gaiman book. I chose Stardust–I can’t wait! 🙂

• At 2009.11.10 16:02, Michele said:

This is the first Gaiman book that I actually enjoyed. Well, more than enjoyed, I loved it! I can’t wait till the kids are old enough to share it with them!

• At 2009.11.10 21:24, Kim said:

Repeat — The Graveyard Book sounds very interesting! I will check it out.

• At 2009.11.11 15:19, carol said:

I’m reading The Graveyard Book right now and enjoying it. My daughter’s the right age, but a little too easily creeped out by ghosts and whatnot.

Read more from carol

It’s time for the 24 -Hour Readathon!

It’s Read-a-thon time! It’s Read-a-thon time!
                        I actually don’t get to start reading until late this afternoon or early evening. We’re driving home from a wedding today and my h[…]

• At 2009.11.11 18:49, Emily said:

I don’t usually listen to audiobooks, but now I’m tempted (even though I’ve already read the book)! What a great way to kick off Neil Gaiman November 🙂

• At 2009.11.14 10:55, Rebecca Reid said:

I was going to listen to audio, but the first disc was garbled so I ended up reading it. I couldn’t put it down! I’m glad you enjoyed it too!

Read more from Rebecca Reid

American Lion by Jon Meecham

If there is any president of the United States that I have both disgust and intrigue for, it is Andrew Jackson, the southern president who completely changed the face of the presidency from upper clas[…]

• At 2009.11.19 11:45, Amy said:

I have never listened to audio books in the past. This post has piqued my interest in them.

Thanks!

• At 2009.11.22 22:52, Michael Herdegen said:

niel has some great work, cant wait to read more

• At 2009.11.23 01:25, Esme said:

I have this book sitting on my coffee table ready to be read.

• At 2009.11.23 10:07, Pam R. said:

This sounds like a really fun one! I may have to add it to my evergrowing wish list…

• At 2009.12.03 12:56, Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) said:

I haven’t read any of these books, but Gaiman is an author I am interested in reading more of.

Read more from Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit)

24-Hour Readathon

As you may know, this weekend is the 24-hour read-a-thon. In honor of the event and Dewey, I’m talking about some read-a-thon memories. Join me and share your memories.