Listener’s List Poll ~ The Gentlemen

Welcome to the Listener’s List poll dedicated to the men of audiobook narration. Each of these gentlemen have been nominated by at least one listener and are displayed in the poll below in alphabetical order. Between now and 11:59pm EST on Saturday, cast your vote for up to five of these fine narrators.

If you are new to the Listener’s List polls, keep reading for more information about the Listener’s List. If you’re an old pro, feel free to skip to the voting.

About the Listener’s List

When I posted my thoughts on Audible’s A-List Collection of audiobooks and countered that listeners are best able to determine who the star narrators are for new listeners, the response was incredible. Through comments here and on Twitter, we certainly amassed a wonderful list of close to 100 narrators who make listening to audiobooks a true pleasure.

Lists are nice and I’m glad to have a permanent record of most of them recorded on my blog.
Still, I think the Listener’s List deserves something more. Over the next couple of months, I’m planning on creating a home for the list. I’ve got many ideas flying around inside my head and I hope to at least actualize at least a few of them. Here is where I need your help.

You so graciously shared your favorite narrators. Over time, I want to officially highlight them all. When taken as a whole, the task is daunting. I need a place to start. Tanya from dog eared copy suggested that I create a poll and have audiobook fans vote on the the first narrators highlighted on the Listener’s List. I thought this was a brilliant idea. In order to make this manageable, I’ve compiled a Listener’s List poll for both male and female narrators. Once the votes have been tallied, I will highlight the top five from each list when the Listener’s List officially goes live.

Once again, I am excited and energized by your enthusiasm. By supporting those people who make our favorite audiobooks a compelling adventure, I know we’re supporting the vitality of the audiobook community as a whole. Long live audiobooks!

• At 2012.04.17 06:16, Sandy said:

Yeah baby! I get excited just looking at this list!

• At 2012.04.17 06:47, Laurie C said:

This is a great idea! I cast my votes and I see I missed one of my favorites. I guess I needed six votes! (Only quibble — “Jonathan” Davis is spelled with two “a”s & one “o”, I believe.)

Read more from Laurie C

Winter Horror: Snowblind by Christopher Golden @steeldroppings RIP IX

As fall slips into New England, Snowblind – a 2014 horror novel by Christopher Golden about Massachusetts blizzards – may increase residents’ already-growing dread of winter tenfold. The fic[...]

• At 2012.04.17 11:57, Literate Housewife said:

Thanks so much for the correction! I’ve fixed it in the poll.

• At 2012.04.17 07:29, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I can’t wait to see who wins!

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative!   If you want to play along, grab the butto[...]

• At 2012.04.17 08:08, Jeaneen said:

I love several of these readers. Need to add Stephen Hoye.

• At 2012.04.17 12:04, Literate Housewife said:

He’s on the list now. :-)

• At 2012.04.17 12:23, Jeaneen said:

Great! His reading of Rococo by Adriana Trigiani is so good! He has other good ones too but Rococo is my fave. :-)

• At 2012.04.17 10:36, suziqoregon said:

Ralph Cosham

Read more from suziqoregon

Nutshell Review: 100 Bullets Vol. 2: Split Second Chance by Brian Azzarello

Photo Credit
        100 Bullets Vol. 2: Split Second Chance by Brian Azzarello with art by Eduardo Risso

Genre: Crime Fiction, Comics
        Series: #2 in the 100 Bullets series
        Publisher: Vertigo
        Publication Date[...]

• At 2012.04.17 10:47, Katherine Kellgren said:

So many of my favorites here – will be incredibly tough choosing only 5! I also love the work of Dion Graham – if you’re adding people, do remember my fangirl recommendation of his work!

• At 2012.04.17 12:06, Literate Housewife said:

Your wish is my command. He’s there now. :-)

• At 2012.04.17 13:47, Katherine Kellgren said:

Thanks!! :)

• At 2012.04.17 11:21, Xe Sands said:

Hurray – my favorites are here (but I’m not telling which five ;)

• At 2012.04.17 11:30, Sam M-B said:

Hooray, more polls! Write-in here for: Stefan Rudnicki.

Read more from Sam M-B

What’s in a name? A farewell to “The Audible SF/F Blog”

When I started “The Audible SF/F Blog” in June 2011, I was hoping that the double meaning of “audible”, that is both the well-known audiobook company and the state of being, er[...]

• At 2012.04.17 12:34, Bob said:

This is really an amazing list. Both the ladies and the gentlemen narrators lists are full of so many great voices. I went back and forth on my votes with both groups so many times. Thanks for putting this together Jeniffer, I’ll be refreshing often to follow the drama.

Read more from Bob

June Is Audiobook Month Video Special: Becoming Mark Watney: First Look, with an Interview with Narrator RC Bray.

Today’s June Is Audiobook Guest is brash, obnoxious, and I will grudgingly admit, gifted narrator R.C. “I’m too cool just to call myself Bob” Bray. Bray, always willing to whore himsel[...]

• At 2012.04.17 22:39, Literate Housewife said:

There definitely is drama! Thanks so much for your support of the Listener’s List, Bob.

• At 2012.04.17 13:38, le0pard13 said:

Great list, though it makes picking just five rather hard ;-).

Read more from le0pard13

Guest Post – Uncredited Actor: The Five Boroughs in ‘Report To The Commissioner’ (1975)

Greetings all and sundry! While in the midst of adapting to and breaking in my new digs. I’ve some time to peruse and opine upon others…

• At 2012.04.17 22:40, Literate Housewife said:

Picking just five is very, very hard. I will be very curious to see who comes out on top.

• At 2012.04.17 13:59, Phil Gigante said:

Wow! I am humbled and honored to be on this list with such amazing narrators! Thank you!

Just wanted to mention the wonderful (and very tall) Luke Daniels, who isn’t on the list. He rocks!

• At 2012.04.17 14:13, le0pard13 said:

I second what Phil said about Luke Daniels.

Read more from le0pard13

• At 2012.04.17 22:41, Literate Housewife said:

You are so welcome, Phil! Clearly you have many devoted fans who love your work. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us.

I’ve also added Luke Daniels to the list. :)

• At 2012.04.18 09:48, Luke said:

Wow! What an honor to be included among this league of extraordinary gentlemen! Thanks Phil for the kind words, and Jennifer for this great list!

• At 2012.04.18 13:50, Vic said:

Also wanted to throw my vote in for Luke Daniels. His reading of Iron Druid series is just marvelous!

• At 2012.04.17 17:43, Susan Bailey said:

Awesome list yes! This list is very exciting with these voices bringing our favorite books or novels to life! I have to say my all-time fav is here and I will never tell! As my heart races thinking of the towel puddled at his feet, *Cough* sorry that’s my fav highlander he brings to my dreams! :)

• At 2012.04.17 22:52, Literate Housewife said:

Thanks so much for your votes and the chuckle you gave me reading about your favorite highlander who shall remain nameless. :) You illustrate quite well the power of the narrator!

• At 2012.04.17 19:33, Peter Berkrot said:

Dear LIterate Housewife,

Thank you for including me on this list. I’m very honored.

Best,
                    Peter

• At 2012.04.18 05:29, Serena said:

I can’t wait to see the top picks

Read more from Serena

Giveaway: Still, At Your Door by Emma Eden Ramos

Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of reading the latest work from Emma Eden Ramos, Still, At Your Door, which I reviewed in February.  It is not only a story about a young girl, Sabrina Gibbons, [...]

• At 2012.04.18 08:24, Sheila (Book Journey) said:

Wonderful idea! I too am excited for the results!

Read more from Sheila (Book Journey)

The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

The hot combination of Holly Black (Spiderwick Chronicles and Coldest Girl In Cold Town) and Cassandra Clare *Mortal Instrument Series) …  Magic is about to happen!  ~Sheila   Most kids w[...]

• At 2012.04.18 12:20, Tara Jenner said:

You definitely need to amend your list to include Nathanael Parker and Kevin R. Free!

• At 2012.04.19 07:56, Literate Housewife said:

I will definitively add those names! Thanks for the recommendations!

• At 2012.04.18 15:24, Melanie said:

Such a lovely list. My ears are happier just looking at it. Now, which of these guys will I pick for my next listen? Spoilt for choice!!

• At 2012.04.19 07:57, Literate Housewife said:

We definitely are spoilt for choice. So many good narrators, so little time.

• At 2012.04.18 17:59, Karen White said:

thanks again, Jennifer, for spreadin’ the love!

Read more from Karen White

THE 200 BOOK MILESTONE

Reaching the 200 book milestone**, I thought it might be a good time to take a pause and share all the things I’m grateful for after fifteen years working as a narrator. 1) I’m so thankful that I

• At 2012.04.19 01:16, Jonah Cummings said:

Maybe having a write-in option in addition to your list might have produced a few more listener favorites. Oh well maybe next poll. It is nice that you are making a genuine effort to recognize narrators beyond the dastardly A-List. PS Frank Muller was one of the best!

• At 2012.04.19 08:00, Literate Housewife said:

Feel free to let me know who I’m missing. I’ve been adding on to the list based on comments and other feedback. The whole list will be used down the road to add narrator profiles to the Listener’s List blog.

• At 2012.04.23 15:17, MacLeod said:

Thanks so much for putting this list together. It’s so good to see so many of the narrators I love getting their due recognition! I can’t say how honored I am to have been included.

Best,
                          MacLeod

• At 2012.04.25 06:38, natalie @book, line, and sinker said:

so, how did my audiobook boyfriend do?!!? i can’t wait to see the results…

Read more from natalie @book, line, and sinker

539 Days and Counting

It’s been 539 days since my last post here on Book Line and Sinker; I feel a bit like a cicada digging my way out of the earth after a long hiatus–I couldn’t even remember my login h[...]