Note: The discussion topics and questions will contain spoilers, so please read no further if you haven’t read the book yet. Here is some information about the book in case you are interested in picking it up for yourself:
The River Witch by Kimberly Brock
Published by: Bell Bridge Books
Published on: April 6, 2012
Page Count: 235
Summary from the Publisher: Can the river heal her?
Roslyn Byrne is twenty-four years old, broken in body, heart and soul. Her career as a professional ballet dancer ended with a car wreck and a miscarriage, leaving her lost and grieving. She needs a new path, but she doesn’t have the least idea how or where to start. With some shoving from her very Southern mama, she immures herself for the summer on Manny’s Island, Georgia, one of the Sea Isles, to recover.
There Roslyn finds a ten-year-old girl, Damascus, who brings alligators, pumpkins and hoodoo into her sorry life.
Roslyn rents a house from Damascus’s family, the Trezevants, a strange bunch. One of the cousins, Nonnie, who works in the family’s market, sees things Roslyn is pretty sure she shouldn’t, and knows things regular people don’t. Between the Trezevant secrets and Damascus’s blatant snooping and meddling, Roslyn finds herself caught in a mysterious stew of the past and present, the music of the river, the dead and the dying who haunt the riverbank, and a passion for living her new life.
~ Spoilers begin here. Read on at your own risk. ~
Thanks to everyone who has joined me on this Read-A-Long. Reading a book at the same time and discussing it soon after is a treat for me. I don’t often have that luxury, although a friend and I are starting a book club, so I hope that changes.
Here are the questions I came up with based on my reading and the Twitter discussions this week. Please feel free to answer as many or as few as you’d like. If you have questions of your own, be sure to let me know. I’d be happy to add them as soon as I can or you can pose them in the comments.
1) When we first meet Roslyn, she’s in rough shape. What were your first impressions of her as a character? How did it change over time?
2) How did you read the birth scene? What did you think about the crocheting and the yarn?
3) Damascus is equally troubled in her own way. What did you think of her quest with the pumpkin seeds?
4) What did you think about the setting on Manny’s Island? What role did it play in the book?
5) There are some interesting relationships in the book. Did you have a favorite? Were there any that didn’t work as well for you?
6) It was rumored that Roslyn had the ability to call alligators. How did you feel about this aspect of the story? Why do you think people who have spent most if not all of their lives on the island would believe such a thing about someone new?
7) How do you think men were portrayed in The River Witch?
8) What were your thoughts on Damascus and the last pumpkin? How did you feel about what happened in the river?
9) A discussion of The River Witch cannot be complete without discussing the role of Sacred Harp music and the way it impacted Roslyn’s journey. Was this book your first experience with this form of worship? Do you have something similar in your own life?
10) What do you think The River Witch has to say about life and its trials?
11) What were your overall thoughts about the book? Do you have a favorite section? Was there anything that didn’t work well for you?
Thanks again for reading along with me. I’ll be leaving my thoughts in the comments along with you.
TGIF, my friends!