Grover Gardner ~ Baby, It’s Cold Outside

GroverGroverGardner
is a narrator with a simply enormous collection of audiobooks to his credit. There are over 800, with more than 300 currently available for download. He is an AudioFile Magazine Golden Voice and has won many Earphones Awards as well as has been named a Best Voice in 2009, 2010, and 2011. In addition to working as a narrator, Grover also works behind the scenes at Blackstone Audio. I had the opportunity to interview Grover and Tanya Perez during Audiobook Week 2011. I also briefly met him while I was in New York. My plan was to make sure he picked up something special for Tanya, but he’d already taken care of it. He’s a stand up guy and, as you’ll see, a wonderful father.

There is such a wonderful variety to Grover’s audiobooks that it is difficult to narrow down my suggestions. Here goes. Reading the Autobiography of Mark Twain is no small undertaking. I know I wouldn’t have finished it were it not for Grover’s narration. I picked up Defending Jacob by William Landay and am really looking forward to the listen. This year Random House Audio released an unabridged version of The Stand by Stephen King narrated by Grover and it is getting rave reviews. Finally, he is working on John Jakes’ North and South series. Love does not describe how I felt about those books – or the miniseries for that matter – when I was in high school. Believe me when I tell you I am all over these audiobooks. North and South, Book 1 debuts today!

For more information about Grover, check out his bio on AudioFile Magazine’s website. He also has a blog and is on Twitter.

BICO50

SeasonofGiving

Grover, along with the most astute and adorable elf Santa could ever ask for, go on a shopping excursion for local children in need of holiday cheer. As much as I love watching my children opening the perfect gift on Christmas morning, how much better is it to teach them about the joy of giving. You cannot help but be inspired to make the holidays a little brighter for children in need after watching this video. It is easy to find Toys For Tots drop off location in your area.

Who wants to bust out their Spirographs and play?

• At 2012.12.14 07:46, Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said:

Great post! I am listening to more audios than ever these days and, in fact, I’m trying to figure out what to listen to next right now. Your post is making that decision easy for me today! Thanks for the info on Grover Gardner!

Read more from Lisa (Southern Girl Reads)

New Year, New Adventure!

After taking a brief hiatus from the blog, I am back, once again. I hadn’t really planned on being absent for so long, but with the holidays and all that goes with it, time flew by. So, here we are, a[…]

• At 2012.12.15 23:38, Jennifer said:

I’m glad on all points. I hope you enjoy your selection!

• At 2012.12.14 10:13, Serena said:

I love the toys for tots program.

Read more from Serena

Interrobang by Jessica Piazza

Source: AWP Purchase Paperback, 72 pgs. I am an Amazon Affiliate Interrobang by Jessica Piazza is mostly a collection of sonnets that explore a series of phobias and obsessions that often cause us to […]

• At 2012.12.15 23:38, Jennifer said:

I took care of some shopping today. 🙂

• At 2012.12.14 10:58, Cassandra Campbell said:

What a lovely reminder of the joy of giving! So sweet, too!

• At 2012.12.14 11:55, Coleen Marlo said:

Grover the beauty of Christmas shines brightly in your daughter’s eyes!
        What a loving post this was. Thank you for sharing your adorable little elf with us, she is a joy!

• At 2012.12.15 23:40, Jennifer said:

I loved watching her being introduced as Christmas cheer. She’s adorable.

• At 2012.12.14 17:10, Anne Flosnik said:

The spirit of Christmas, and Grover enjoyed it every bit as much as his daughter! Pure magic!

• At 2012.12.14 17:32, Diane Challenor said:

Really interesting post. Thank you for introducing me to Grover Gardner’s blog and his narration skills. I listen to at least two audio books a month and know how a narrator can make or break a story. It’s important to know who the good ones are.

• At 2012.12.15 23:42, Jennifer said:

Diane, I think you’ll find that Grover will make the story. I hope you get a chance to listen to him soon.

• At 2012.12.15 00:10, Karen White said:

what a cutie she is! so inspiring. and i loved grover’s narration :0

Read more from Karen White

IT TAKES ONE TO TANGO by Winifred M. Reilly plus GIVEAWAY

Available now from Tantor Audio. From the Publisher: “Conventional wisdom says that “it takes two” to turn a troubled marriage around and that both partners must have a shared commit[…]

• At 2012.12.15 23:44, Jennifer said:

I liked the part where he remembered Spirograph. It was as if he heard me telling him what it was called. 🙂

• At 2012.12.15 01:26, Kathe Mazur said:

Oh this is great. I love your daughter. And your narration. And thanks for your generosity. And for raising such a generous person.

• At 2012.12.15 01:47, Amy Rubinate said:

That was so much fun! I got the feeling Grover wanted to take another set of all those “boy” toys home; did you see the camera linger longingly on the CAT trucks? My favorite line: “I’ve always wanted a pair of handcuffs!” Great idea to remind people of holiday giving…

• At 2012.12.15 23:45, Jennifer said:

Maybe we should all pool our cash and get him one of those CAT trucks. 🙂

• At 2012.12.15 12:33, Jeff said:

That was a great video for the holiday season, showing the spirit of giving. I lost it with the handcuffs comment …