Hillary Huber ~ Baby, It’s Cold Outside!

is an Audie nominated and Earphones Award winning audiobook narrator. She has over 100 titles listed on Audible. com. She is looking forward to new audiobooks coming out soon, such as Little Wolves by Thomas Malt Man and Rwanda, Inc by Patricia Crisafulli. Hillary is also a character (if you don’t believe me, her submission is proof!). She was with us at the Blogger/Narrator luncheon in New York City in June and she kept the conversation going. I have a feeling if I spent any amount of time with her I would end up in a lot of trouble and wouldn’t regret one single minute of it – not even from behind bars.

I had a lot of fun looking through Hillary’s audiobook listings. As an adoptive mother, I’ve had my eye on The Red Thread by Ann Hood for quite some time. It’s now a must in audio. As I’m beginning to believe that audio is the key to short stories for me, I really want to pick up Boys and Girls Like You and Me by Aryn Kyle. I also enjoy memoirs about growing up within different religious traditions, so Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen has caught my eye. If vampires are your bookish kryptonite, she narrated the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian to much acclaim. Finally, if you’re worried about the impending Mayan Apocalypse, Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control by Medea Benjamin might just take your mind off of 12/21/12.

For more information about Hillary, check out her AudioFile Magazine bio and her darling website. She is also on Twitter.

My earliest Christmas memory is a sound — the jingle of bells as Santa alit on the snowy peaked roof of my house in Westport, Connecticut. Little did I realize, my Dad, intent on delighting his only daughter and ignoring my Mom’s warnings, had climbed onto the slippery roof, lashed himself to the chimney and was now clambering about, Ho-Ho-Ho-ing and ringing those bells. It was an intoxicating moment for a three year old—filled with magic and the promise of goodies under the tree.

I love the sounds of Christmas — the crackling fireplace, the jingle of bells, the oohs and aahs as the tree is lit. But mostly, I love Christmas music. And I play it incessantly (much to my family’s dismay). From the Waitresses’ “Christmas Wrapping” to Bing Crosby crooning “White Christmas” and everything in between. Ok. Maybe not the dogs barking “Jingle Bells.” I can do without that one.

About five years ago, I came up with a concept for my own Christmas song interpretation. A duet with actor Eddie Deezen. You’ll recognize him from “Grease,” “The Polar Express,” and countless other movies, TV shows, cartoons and voiceovers. Bless his heart, I asked and he said “SURE HILLY, I’LL HELP YOU OUT HILLY!” It took Jennifer Conner’s “Baby it’s Cold Outside” blog feature to finally get me to record — you got it, “Baby it’s Cold Outside.” So here ya go. Merry Christmas!

• At 2012.12.12 07:51, Serena said:

I love this….fantastic. So fun! These narrators are so multi-talented!

Read more from Serena

Interview with Mingmei Yip, Author of Secret of a Thousand Beauties

Secret of a Thousand Beauties by Mingmei Yip is set to be published Nov. 25, 2014, and is the latest release from Yip.  I’ve reviewed Skeleton Women and The Nine Fold Heaven, which I enjoyed.
    H[…]

• At 2012.12.12 11:52, Jennifer said:

I do, too, Serena! I had so much fun putting this post together. :)

• At 2012.12.12 08:39, Luanne said:

She is one of my fave readers!

• At 2012.12.12 08:46, Anne Flosnik said:

Brava Hilary, what a wow!!!! Loved hearing your delicious singing voice. Hilly and Eddy, this could be the start of another something big!

• At 2012.12.12 11:54, Jennifer said:

Wasn’t it fun? I laughed a lot putting this together.

• At 2012.12.12 13:02, Anne Flosnik said:

Hilary is amazing!!!! :) This was, and is so much fun! :)

• At 2012.12.16 01:44, hillary huber said:

thanks anne. loved your traditional recipe! merry merry to you! xoxo

• At 2012.12.12 10:21, Kathe Mazur said:

Hillary Huber. Perfect. Great voice, great Dame. And you’re right, Jennifer. You would end up behind bars. And somehow, Hillary would get a drink smuggled in for the two of you, and a plate of hors d’ouvre. Merry Christmas, Lady Huber.

• At 2012.12.12 12:00, Jennifer said:

Kathe, I am sure you’d be there with us, too. Hopefully there will be people left to come to visiting hours. :)

• At 2012.12.12 12:32, Coleen Marlo said:

Brava Hillary and Bravo Eddie!!! Gorgeous sexy voice, and Hillary you were fantastic too!!
        This will now be added to MY collection of Christmas songs, simply sublime! xoxxo

• At 2012.12.12 23:58, Jennifer said:

LOL! Wasn’t it fun? I didn’t think of putting this on my phone. Great idea!

• At 2012.12.16 01:45, hillary huber said:

ha!

• At 2012.12.12 15:07, Tavia Gilbert said:

MAGNIFICENT. Of course. xo

• At 2012.12.12 15:56, Cass Campbell said:

Darling, fabulous Hillary! I only love you!

• At 2012.12.12 22:05, Amy Rubinate said:

LOVE this! Hillary, you have an amazing voice – and this is so much fun! I came home bleary-eyed from a long day, and this picked me right up – thanks!

• At 2012.12.12 23:59, Jennifer said:

This is going to be a great holiday pick me up. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face.

• At 2012.12.13 14:12, Annabel said:

Hillary Huber is amazing, the best voice out there!

• At 2012.12.15 18:16, Jennifer said:

Thank you so much for stopping by and giving Hillary a shout out!

• At 2012.12.16 01:42, hillary huber said:

hey everyone – thanks for the great comments! i loved doing this and am glad y’all like it. eddie is a peach. xoxo and merry merry!