#498 ~ Me Before You

Published on: December 31, 2012

Page Count: 384

Genre: Fiction

My Reading Format: Review copy picked up at BEA

Available Formats: Hardcover, eBook, and Audiobook

Summary from the Publisher

They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose.

Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has never been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex–Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.

A Love Story for this generation, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn’t have less in common—a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?

My Review

I first heard of it from an international Twitter follower who praised the audiobook up and down. When I researched it, I learned that this was a title that was first released later in the United States. For some reason – I like to think destiny – I never forgot about the recommendation. When I saw a copy available at BEA last year, it was like seeing a long lost friend in a crowd. I politely as possible worked my way over to the dwindling stack of copies and picked one up before they were gone. Thank goodness for the bright red cover and for Twitter peeps spreading the love for good books.

I loved Lou and the way that she sloppily found her purpose in life. Despite her less than ideal family, she makes the most of a difficult job. She isn’t content to do a minimum required to get by in any job. Despite Will’s less than sunny outlook on his situation, she does everything in her power and imagination to be the best caregiver she can be. Because she puts her all into her position, it is inevitable that Will becomes more than just a job. That working with him brings her personal satisfaction just increases her need to bring him happiness. As a reader, I was there for every argument, humiliation, smile, and moment of joy. I was so involved that I never wanted to put down. I didn’t have the luxury of reading it straight through, but it was on my mind when it wasn’t in my hands.

Words cannot describe how much I loved this novel. I can’t remember the last time a book made me cry like Me Before You did. I will most definitely be rereading this in audio since that was what first brought it to my attention. I will also be checking out JoJo Moyes’ backlist. Me Before You was a great find on so many different levels. This is a book that will touch your heart and make for lively book club discussions. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up. It’s a keeper.

• At 2013.02.11 05:08, Fern Chasida said:

I also loved this book – bawled like a baby! It’s not my usual style but I really got drawn in.

• At 2013.02.11 19:47, Jennifer said:

I don’t normally get all teary when I read. This book was so good!

• At 2013.02.11 06:48, Marg said:

Wasn’t this such an amazing story! I read it last year and it was one of my top two reads of last year.

I might see if I can get the audiobook and experience it all over again, although I am not sure sobbing my eyes out while driving and listening to an audiobook is the best look.

• At 2013.02.11 19:48, Jennifer said:

My Twitter fried raved about the audiobook. I think that’s the way to go for a reread.

• At 2013.02.11 09:38, Jennifer said:

I really really need to get my hands on a copy of this book! I keep hearing great things. I don’t know why but I love a book that can make me ugly cry. It’s cathartic :)

• At 2013.02.11 19:49, Jennifer said:

It’s the book to do that for you, Jennifer. I hope you get your hands on it soon. :)

• At 2013.02.11 10:37, Karen White said:

Ugh – I was trying to google this on my phone so I could read a description to my book club yesterday and it wasn’t working! They picked Wolf Hall. Maybe next time….who did the audio?

Read more from Karen White

ONE MOUNTAIN AWAY by Emilie Richards

Book #1 in the Goddesses Anonymous series. Available now from Blackstone Audio. From the Publisher: “With nothing but brains, ambition, and sheer nerve, Charlotte Hale built a career as a tough,[...]

• At 2013.02.11 19:45, Jennifer said:

Susan Lyons is the narrator, Karen.

I loved Wolf Hall for the record, but Me Before You is a much more engaging book club book. I’ll be interested in hearing how that goes.

• At 2013.02.11 11:44, Sandy said:

Oh jeez. You guys and this book. OK, I’m off to see if I can get it on audio at the library…

• At 2013.02.11 19:49, Jennifer said:

I love being a bad influence. :)

• At 2013.02.11 13:48, Anita said:

I loved this book, and even writing the review was difficult because you don’t want to give it away, but it was so beautiful and I was crying my eyes out at the end!! I’ve purchased her most recent on backlist for my Nook….now for the time!!

• At 2013.02.11 19:50, Jennifer said:

I need to follow suit and do the same thing. I have to believe that her other books are fabulous.

• At 2013.02.11 21:25, Marg said:

Jen, I have read a number of her other books. Loved Last Letter From Your Lover, The Girl You Left Behind. Realy liked Ship of Brides, wasn’t so keen on Night Music. Have a few more to read at some point.

• At 2013.02.11 16:10, Jaime Boler said:

Great review! I loved this book.

Read more from Jaime Boler

Book Review: Rivers by Michael Farris Smith

Rivers by Michael Farris Smith (Simon & Schuster; 352 pages; $25).         “He had forgotten the last day that it hadn’t rained, when the storms gave way to the pale blue of the Gulf [...]

• At 2013.02.11 19:50, Jennifer said:

Thanks, Jaime! It’s such a good book. We’re lucky to be readers in the here and now.

• At 2013.02.11 18:44, Nise' said:

I’ve been recommending this book the last two weeks to anyone who will listen!

• At 2013.02.11 19:51, Jennifer said:

I hope they all pick it up and read it. They’ll be thanking you for a long time to come.

• At 2013.02.12 08:20, Heather @ Book Addiction said:

I couldn’t agree more! I bawled like a baby while reading this one.

Read more from Heather @ Book Addiction

Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando

Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers From the publisher: When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she sho[...]

• At 2013.07.31 15:36, Midsummer Night’s…GIVEAWAY! | said: