Thankfully Sunday ~ 03/02/2014

Several Valentine’s Days ago my husband bought me a firefly pendant. It stood out to me because the wings are his birthstone and the opals are mine, my girls, and are the stone for the month we got married. I love it and I’ve worn it every day since. Fireflies have never held any special meaning to me before that day, but they do now.

FireflyBefore

Over time I realized that the stones represented more than just my family. Two of my siblings, two of my in-laws, and my mom share December birthdays with my husband. My paternal grandfather was also born in October. There are also diamond chips. My father, one of my sisters, and my maternal grandmother were born in April. The only people on my side of the family who weren’t represented are my youngest sister and my new brother-in-law (January), my maternal grandfather (September), and my paternal grandmother (May). If I were to add those stones, my mother-in-law would also be included because she was a May baby, too. That just left my father-in-law (November). By adding four extra stones to the pendant, all four of my grandparents, my parents, my siblings and their spouses, my husband, his parents, and my children would all be included. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to do to customize the firefly to represent my entire family. My husband, who had already got me an iPad Mini for this Valentine’s Day, thankfully agreed. Friday it came back from the jeweler and I couldn’t be happier.

FireflyBetterBefore

This pendant that I wear every day near my heart means the world to me because it caries a reminder of my family and I couldn’t be more thankful for each and every one of them. I am one blessed woman.

• At 2014.03.02 05:15, Marg said:

Lovely post!

I have a thing for dragonflies myself. I actually don’t know why. I just do!

• At 2014.03.02 09:43, Beth Hoffman said:

Thank you for sharing this story (and photographs), Jennifer! It’s so uplifting and speaks beautifully of the bonds of family.

• At 2014.03.02 09:48, Sheila (Book JOurney) said:

Its beautiful! What a great idea to add the additional stones!

Read more from Sheila (Book JOurney)

To My Book Loving Friends… An Update On Me

Dear Friends, while I am up to it I want to share with you my absence.  On Saturday April 4th my wonderful 24 year old son Justin was killed in a car accident.  I can not even tell you the pain that[…]

• At 2014.03.02 10:32, Hillary said:

It is beautiful!!

• At 2014.03.02 12:22, Cleo said:

What a beautiful idea to add the additional stones to make it even more personal. It is such a pretty item too.

Read more from Cleo

The Faerie Tree – Jane Cable

In Hampshire Izzy is preparing for her first Christmas as a widow, wanting to make it ‘good-enough’ for her teenage daughter Claire but still unsure what form her grief will take next. One day aft[…]

• At 2014.03.02 12:52, Trista said:

So cool.
              Love the updated firefly. :)

• At 2014.03.02 14:50, Sandy said:

That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of jewelry, as well as being special. I love it.

• At 2014.03.02 19:53, Kailana said:

How fabulous! What a very touching thing. :)

• At 2014.03.03 13:17, Ti said:

What a special gift. I am too hard on jewelry so I don’t wear much. I love opals though.

Read more from Ti

Commenting Problem

I am aware that some of you are not able to comment on my blog via desktop or laptop. There seems to be a problem with the WordPress theme I am using (Digg 3 column). Commenting via mobile device seem[…]