Thankfully Sunday ~ 03/02/2014

Several Valentine’s Days ago my husband bought me a firefly pendant. It stood out to me because the wings are his birthstone and the opals are mine, my girls, and are the stone for the month we got married. I love it and I’ve worn it every day since. Fireflies have never held any special meaning to me before that day, but they do now.

FireflyBefore

Over time I realized that the stones represented more than just my family. Two of my siblings, two of my in-laws, and my mom share December birthdays with my husband. My paternal grandfather was also born in October. There are also diamond chips. My father, one of my sisters, and my maternal grandmother were born in April. The only people on my side of the family who weren’t represented are my youngest sister and my new brother-in-law (January), my maternal grandfather (September), and my paternal grandmother (May). If I were to add those stones, my mother-in-law would also be included because she was a May baby, too. That just left my father-in-law (November). By adding four extra stones to the pendant, all four of my grandparents, my parents, my siblings and their spouses, my husband, his parents, and my children would all be included. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to do to customize the firefly to represent my entire family. My husband, who had already got me an iPad Mini for this Valentine’s Day, thankfully agreed. Friday it came back from the jeweler and I couldn’t be happier.

FireflyBetterBefore

This pendant that I wear every day near my heart means the world to me because it caries a reminder of my family and I couldn’t be more thankful for each and every one of them. I am one blessed woman.

• At 2014.03.02 05:15, Marg said:

Lovely post!

I have a thing for dragonflies myself. I actually don’t know why. I just do!

• At 2014.03.02 09:43, Beth Hoffman said:

Thank you for sharing this story (and photographs), Jennifer! It’s so uplifting and speaks beautifully of the bonds of family.

• At 2014.03.02 09:48, Sheila (Book JOurney) said:

Its beautiful! What a great idea to add the additional stones!

Read more from Sheila (Book JOurney)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

Hello!  Welcome to It’s Monday What Are You Reading?  The meme that we use to share what we read this past week and what our plans are for the upcoming week.  It’s a great way to see what other[…]

• At 2014.03.02 10:32, Hillary said:

It is beautiful!!

• At 2014.03.02 12:22, Cleo said:

What a beautiful idea to add the additional stones to make it even more personal. It is such a pretty item too.

Read more from Cleo

Green and Pleasant Land – Judith Cutler

Twenty years ago a woman and her young son disappeared one cold and wet night in the midlands, on the back seat her youngest son, just a baby was dead. What happened to Natalie and Hadrian simply disa[…]

• At 2014.03.02 12:52, Trista said:

So cool.
              Love the updated firefly. :)

• At 2014.03.02 14:50, Sandy said:

That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of jewelry, as well as being special. I love it.

• At 2014.03.02 19:53, Kailana said:

How fabulous! What a very touching thing. :)

• At 2014.03.03 13:17, Ti said:

What a special gift. I am too hard on jewelry so I don’t wear much. I love opals though.

Read more from Ti

Sunday Matters: A Nice, Sunny Weekend

This week was pretty good. Lots going on (as usual). Seems to be the norm with me but not a bad week overall. We had fun at the track meet yesterday. I worked the long jump pit for the first time. It[…]