Thankfully Sunday ~ 03/09/2014

Life doesn’t get much better than getting to spend time with good friends. This weekend I got the opportunity to meet Cassanda, one of my favorite Book Rioters, in person for the first time. She’s stopped in Roanoke on her way to spend some time with fellow Book Rioters in Richmond and I couldn’t be happier.

We began our visit with a squeal and a big hug and then preceded to our local Barnes and Noble. I had a great time walking through the shelves with another book lover. Along the way we talked about books, reading experiences, and other bookish friends we would love to spend time with. It was for some of those friends that we took the weekend’s first selfie with Warm Bodies.

WarmBodies

Cassandra is the person responsible for turning me into a Sherlock fan, so our time together would not have been complete without a little (or a lot) of Benedict Cumberbatch. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this before, but we had my husband turn on our projector downstairs and we watched the first two episodes of Season 3 on our 80 inch screen. There’s no better way to experience Sherlock.

Sherlollysm

We started our Saturday morning with a delicious breakfast at my favorite local (and by local I mean within walking distance) restaurant, the Mill Iron Grill. This is a family favorite and I was able to get the girls to join us in a celebratory picture after we placed our orders.

OurMIGSelfie

Then it was off to see a few notable and not so notable sites in Roanoke. We started off with Mini Graceland. Mini Graceland is a miniature version of Elvis’ Graceland estate replicated in a woman’s yard. Mini Graceland has seen its better days, but there was even a wooden statue of Elvis painted bronze that was dedicated by the mayor. You can’t see it in this picture but in the concert hall you’ll even find Barbie dolls enjoying a show.

MiniGracelandrsm

From there it was just a short drive to the Roanoke Star. The Roanoke Star lights up the night in our area, but the area itself provides a beautiful view of the Roanoke valley.

Roanoke Starrsm

I hope you can tell by the pictures that this Sunday I’m thankful for all of the friends in my life, but especially Cassandra. She took the time out of her busy schedule to spend time with me and my family. She even laughed her way through muddy encounter at the park thanks to Allison (sorry again about that!). Who wouldn’t feel blessed with a friend like Cassandra?

Mudsm

• At 2014.03.09 07:06, tanya said:

I just love it when bloogers meet in real life!! Glad you two had a good day!

Read more from tanya

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

Like just about everyone else I know, I was eagerly awaiting Graeme Simsion‘s follow up to The Rosie Project (review). I approached  The Rosie Effect cautiously, knowing that there was no way i[...]

• At 2014.03.09 08:24, Shannon @ River City Reading said:

So much fun! Before you explained Mini Graceland I was already wondering about the little houses behind you! Roanoke is such a cute town, love how pretty it looks from the Star :)

• At 2014.03.09 09:04, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I too love meeting bloggers in real life! What fun!

Read more from rhapsodyinbooks

Review of “The Madonna and The Starship by James Morrow

James Morrow writes very entertaining Kurt-Vonnegut-esque type dark comedies employing a lot of satire, especially of the religious variety. This latest book takes place in the 1950’s and centers on[...]

• At 2014.03.09 09:38, Traci said:

Love it!

• At 2014.03.09 12:44, Cassandra said:

Oh, you are just too sweet! I had a great time! Thank you so much for welcoming me into your home and making fame feel like I belonged there. I will definitely be back some day.

• At 2014.03.09 12:48, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I’ve actually been to the Roanoke Star (I was in high school) but I’ve never had the pleasure of viewing Mini-Graceland. It looks like y’all had a blast!

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative!   If you want to play along, grab the butto[...]

• At 2014.03.09 14:32, Sandy said:

It is so much fun to get together with other bloggers. It is magical in a way…you just KNOW each other, even if you’ve never met. I still think we all need to find a central place and have a decadent weekend together.

• At 2014.03.09 20:23, Anita said:

I love this post!! Bloggers are the most fun to meet and spend time with. I feel equally lucky each time I’ve had the privilege. I’m so glad you and Cassandra had this special weekend. I agree with Sandy, we need to find a place for a bunch of us to meet.

• At 2014.03.10 13:03, Kailana said:

Sounds like you guys had a great time. :)

• At 2014.03.11 08:37, Karen White said:

So fun seeing you guys together – what a great weekend you put together.

Read more from Karen White

THE 200 BOOK MILESTONE

Reaching the 200 book milestone**, I thought it might be a good time to take a pause and share all the things I’m grateful for after fifteen years working as a narrator. 1) I’m so thankful that I

• At 2014.03.11 14:12, Ti said:

It’s fun to meet other bloggers in real life, but when I meet them at a bookstore, I get overwhelmed by all the choices! I hardly buy anything.

Read more from Ti

Review: Twelve Years a Slave

Twelve Years a Slave By Solomon Northup (Graymalkin Media, Paperback, 9781631680021, February 2014, 248pp.) The Short of It: A true account of a free black man, kidnapped and forced into slavery. The [...]