Fingersmith Read-a-Long

I’ve loved Sarah Waters’ Tipping the Velvet and really enjoyed The Little Stranger. As excited as I am about The Paying Guests (I just started the audiobook narrated by the delicious Juliet Stevenson), I thought it would be fun to read something from her backlist. When the Fingersmith eBook went on sale last month the deal was sealed. So sealed, in fact, I immediately started to design bookmarks for participants in my head. Now I’m making it official.

First, here’s the publisher’s summary of Fingersmith:

Cover of FingersmithSue Trinder is an orphan, left as an infant in the care of Mrs. Sucksby, a “baby farmer,” who raised her with unusual tenderness, as if Sue were her own. Mrs. Sucksby’s household, with its fussy babies calmed with doses of gin, also hosts a transient family of petty thieves—fingersmiths—for whom this house in the heart of a mean London slum is home.

One day, the most beloved thief of all arrives—Gentleman, an elegant con man, who carries with him an enticing proposition for Sue: If she wins a position as the maid to Maud Lilly, a naïve gentlewoman, and aids Gentleman in her seduction, then they will all share in Maud’s vast inheritance. Once the inheritance is secured, Maud will be disposed of—passed off as mad, and made to live out the rest of her days in a lunatic asylum.

With dreams of paying back the kindness of her adopted family, Sue agrees to the plan. Once in, however, Sue begins to pity her helpless mark and care for Maud Lilly in unexpected ways…But no one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and reversals.

Would you like to read it along with me during the month of October? I’ll be reading the eBook version, but feel free to read as works best for you. If you happen to be reading by audio, please feel free to talk about that experience as well.

Each Tuesday during the month of October I’ll be hosting a Fingersmith discussion. Here is the schedule:

October 7: Chapters 1-5
October 14: Chapters 6-10
October 21: Chapters 11-14
October 28: Chapters 15-17

Participants will each be receiving their own handmade, limited edition (as in I’m too lazy to make extras) Fingersmith Read-a-Long bookmark. I’ll be working on the prototypes this weekend and I’ll post them as soon as I can.

Here’s too a fun October read. It will be interesting to compare this to The Paying Guests.

• At 2014.09.12 11:12, Anita said:

I am in!!! It will be my first Sarah Waters book unless I miraculously ready The Paying Guests first…not likely.
    Great idea Jennifer!!

Read more from Anita

It’s Monday March 6! What Are You Reading?

Joining in with other bloggers in this Monday event hosted by Kathryn at Book Date.  It’s a place to share what we’ve been reading, plan to read and more.  Chick on over to see many more[…]

• At 2014.09.26 09:06, Literate Housewife said:

I’ve started reading already to get a little ahead. I can’t wait to start discussing it. The Paying Guests was fantastic!

• At 2014.09.12 11:54, Ti said:

I would love to join but I am hosting a read along for Something Wicked This Way Comes at the same time. Not sure I can officially do both but I might jump on the bandwagon should I finish Something early.

Read more from Ti

Yesterday

Yesterday, I wrote this long, pitiful post about me being in a funk and let me tell you, it was one sad affair. I was just about to hit publish and then I hesitated. I can’t really say why I he[…]

• At 2014.09.26 09:06, Literate Housewife said:

I completely understand, Ti. There are so many things going on and you can’t participate in them all.

• At 2014.09.12 13:37, Jenn Lawrence said:

I can’t wait! I just realized that, within a month, I’ll be reading three of Waters’ titles. This one, one for book club & The Paying Guests. It’s meant to be!

Read more from Jenn Lawrence

Review: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See […]

• At 2014.09.26 09:07, Literate Housewife said:

Which book is your book club reading? The Paying Guests was so good, so I can’t wait to really dig deep into Fingersmith.

• At 2014.09.14 22:16, Samantha said:

I am in as well. I was actually planning on reading The Little Stranger (and I have The Paying Guests on hold at the library) but I have missed participating in a read-along so I am switching up my plans 🙂 plus, I have had this one on my TBR list for way too long. I can’t wait and am off to put it on hold at my library!

• At 2014.09.18 20:37, Susan/SC said:

I think I may have RSVP’d on FB but this is probably the better place – I’m in! Book purchased, ready. Will go look for Paying Guests and see if there is any hope of completing that in the next two weeks!

• At 2014.09.23 11:38, Literary Feline said:

I heard about the read along through Sam from Booked On A Feeling and am soo tempted. I’ve been wanting to read Sarah Waters forever and I do have a copy of this book. Do I have it in me? Yes! No, I’m already so busy. . . But I want to! Okay, I’ll do it!

• At 2014.09.26 12:04, Darlyn said:

This book sounds so exciting, and I can’t wait to get to know all of the characters. I’m in! 😀