First Read of 2017!

Happy New Year! If you’re reading this, 2016 is history! Thank goodness! I’m so ready for something new. With the new year comes one of my new favorite reading traditions, Sheila from Book Journey’s First Book of the Year event. There are so many people participating this year. It’s amazing to check out Sheila’s post and take a look her collage with pictures of everyone who has signed up and the book they’ve chosen to be their first book of 2017. She makes this event a lot of fun.

This year I signed up without having any idea of the book I would be choosing. I’ve been on vacation since the 23rd and at the last minute on the 30th I remembered I hadn’t send Sheila my picture. I needed to choose my book! Once I did, I didn’t have much time to get prettied up, so I sent in my picture as I was. 🙂

I won a copy of Beatriz Williams’ latest (coming out later this year), Wicked City. Why not start out the new year with a prize? Not so fast. New Year’s Eve brought a glitch with it. Here’s the backstory:

I joined a postal book club in 2016 through Listy, my favorite social media app. There are 32 of us who joined this book club and as of this post I’ve read four books through this book club. If you ever have the opportunity to join one, do it! #ListyGoesPublicOG held a Secret Santa this year, which is a lot of fun. Blair (@Blair_Reads on Litsy) was chosen for me. After looking through her Litsy TBR, I noticed that she had Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield. I have a personal connection to that book (see my review for details), so I immediately ordered that book. I also ordered Asylum by Patrick McGrath, one of my favorite all time books. Unfortunately, Asylum is out of print and the copy I ordered was in horrid shape. When I opened that package, I said to my husband, “I really just want to make her a mix tape.” That innocent statement changed the makeup of Blair’s package because my husband still had the equipment to make a mix tape. Coming up with the playlist was a blast, but I still needed another book to round out the package. It had to have a music theme and High Fidelity came to mind. I’d never read it, but I love the movie. Here’s how the package turned out:

It turns out that neither of us have read the book and we talked about reading it together. I picked up a copy for myself the day after Christmas. On New Year’s Eve, Blair asked if I was ready to start the new year with High Fidelity. How could I say no? So, I’m changing my First Book of 2017 selection. I don’t think Sheila will mind. As I’m typing this post eagerly awaiting 2017, I’ve even dressed appropriately:

What could be more comfy than a pair of LuLaRoe mix tape leggings? I have a feeling that 2017 is going to be a great reading year.

What’s your first book of 2017?

• At 2017.01.01 08:17, JoAnn @ Lakeside Musing said:

Great story… Happy New Year and enjoy the book. I love LItsy, too!

• At 2017.01.02 11:48, Jennifer said:

Happy New Year! I finished the book already. High Fidelity was really good. 🙂

• At 2017.01.01 09:00, Sarah's Book Shelves said:

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on Wicked City! I loved A Hundred Summers, but haven’t loved any of her subsequent books as much.

Read more from Sarah’s Book Shelves

Read One, Skip Two: Shadow of the Lions, See What I Have Done, and Young Jane Young

I moved this week, so life has been crazy! Hence the round-up of August mini-reviews you’re getting today. Two of these books are already out and one is coming on August 22. Shadow of the Lions […]

• At 2017.01.02 11:49, Jennifer said:

A Hundred Summers is the only Williams’ book I’ve read, too. I finished High Fidelity this morning, so I’ll be starting Wicked City tonight. I plan to get a little more reading time in before I head back to work tomorrow.

• At 2017.01.01 10:22, Kailana said:

I hope 2017 is a great reading year for you. Happy New Year!

• At 2017.01.02 11:50, Jennifer said:

Happy New Year! I hope that 2017 brings you many, many amazing books.

• At 2017.01.01 10:24, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I love Beatriz Williams! Happy New Year!

The Week in Review: 08.18.2017

Between the Covers Finished last week: WHOSE MOON IS THAT? by Kim Krans is a gorgeous picture book about a young cat who wants to know who the moon belongs to.  Everyone it asks claims to own the moo[…]

• At 2017.01.02 11:50, Jennifer said:

Happy New Year, Kathy! I can’t wait to get started with Wicked City. I hope it’s as wicked as the title suggests. 🙂

• At 2017.01.01 12:08, Michelle said:

Those leggings are AH-mazing!!

What a great story! I think a backstory like that is going to make the book even more special.. Enjoy!

Happy New Year, Jennifer!

Read more from Michelle

Fabulous Friday – 18 August 2017

We should always find ways to celebrate the little things in life. What better day to celebrate these little things than the best day of the week? So, here are the things that make this a Fabulous F[…]

• At 2017.01.02 11:51, Jennifer said:

Michelle, those are LuLaRoe leggings if you want to try to find a pair of your own. They’ll be worth the effort!

It was a great read and I had an even better time going back and forth with Blair about it. She finished yesterday. I finished this morning.

• At 2017.01.02 17:48, Michelle said:

Oh, I am VERY familiar with Lularoe leggings. I live in them when I can and have more pairs than I can wear in a week.

Read more from Michelle

Fabulous Friday – 18 August 2017

• At 2017.01.01 14:31, Kristin T said:

I have the new Beatriz Williams book on my shelf and will be reading that book shortly, but I had no idea that the movie High Fidelity was actually based on a book – I love that movie!!! We watch it every once in a while – we’re big John Cusak fans here in my house 🙂 And I agree with Michelle – awesome leggings!!!

Happy New Year!!!

• At 2017.01.02 11:53, Jennifer said:

If you love the movie, you’ll love the book, too. The movie portrayed the book perfectly. The parts that the movie left out were for the best, too. I have loved John Cusack from the first time I saw Say Anything. High Fidelity, though, is probably my all-time favorite of his movies. Grosse Pointe Blank is high up there, too.

• At 2017.01.02 01:13, Lisa said:

I love that movie, too, and am always thinking I’ll get around to reading the book. Can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

• At 2017.01.02 11:54, Jennifer said:

Lisa, I finished it this morning and I loved it. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to read for hours without interruption. Good stuff!

• At 2017.01.02 06:49, Beth F said: