Les Mis Loves Company

Les Miserables PenguinThere was a small book (more of a pamphlet really) at my local public library up that listed books that should be read before you go to college. I made countless lists and reading plans based on that pamphlet over the course of my last two years of high school. There was one book that I never included in my plans purely because I was intimidated. I read Gone With The Wind three times in high school, but I pretended Les Misérables didn’t exist.

Twenty plus years later, when the movie came out, I shuddered again just thinking about reading the book yet again. I guess I’m a sucker for a beautiful book. When Penguin announced their new deluxe edition of Victor Hugo’s classic and I saw how beautiful it is, I accepted a review copy. Okay, so it’s been a while. The book has been staring at me in my room every day since. It is beautiful and it’s time to make plans for reading it. 2017 will be my year.

Is Les Misérables a novel you’ve always wanted to read? Have you been avoiding it like I have? Are you someone just looking for an excuse to read it again? If so, I’m sure Les Mis loves company and I’d love to have you join me.

My plan is to read the book approximately 200 pages at a time between March and August this year. Here is what it looks like:

#LesMislovescompany Reading Schedule

March 2017: Part I Books 1 – Part I Book 6
April 2017: Part I Book 7 – Part II Book 4
May 2017: Part II Book 5 – Part III Book 4
June 2017: Part III Book 5 – Part IV Book 3
July 2017: Part IV Book 4 – Part IV Book 15
August 2017: Part V

At the end of each month, I’ll have a check in for those who have decided to participate.

• At 2017.01.03 09:05, Rhapsodyinbooks said:

I had always wanted to read it until the musical/movie came out, and I now use that as an excuse that I “know” the story! :–)

• At 2017.01.03 20:50, Jennifer said:

That is a good excuse! ? If only I liked musicals I could be free!!

• At 2017.01.03 09:05, Dee said:

I’m attempting to read/listen for the third time right now…I’ve never made it past the Marius section…but third time is a charm

• At 2017.01.03 20:51, Jennifer said:

We can be each other’s moral support! I know I’m going to need it. You’re not the first person to mention the Marius section. I’m preparing myself for it. ?

• At 2017.01.03 15:36, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Good for you!

The Week in Review: 08.18.2017

Between the Covers Finished last week: WHOSE MOON IS THAT? by Kim Krans is a gorgeous picture book about a young cat who wants to know who the moon belongs to.  Everyone it asks claims to own the moo[…]

• At 2017.01.05 15:18, Toady said:

This is fabulous! I have had this on my TBR for a long time, and bought a copy last year and there it sits. I have a lot lined up for the first part of the year, but I can’t pass up the opportunity to get through Les Misérables with some support. Count me in.

• At 2017.01.05 15:52, Jennifer said:

Fantastic!!! As time gets closer, I’ll send out a reminder. I really hope we’ll enjoy this accomplishment!

• At 2017.01.05 17:14, Nise' said:

I agree about the Marius sections! Over all I loved the book as much as i loved the stage production. I like the idea of listening to my favorite parts!